The original building was constructed at the latter end of the 15th Century as a Kentish Wealden Hall House with a central room open to the roof and an open
fire for heating and cooking
The 'pineapple' brick fireplaces in the centre and at the southern end of the pub were added in the 16th Century when the hall house was converted to four cottages.
Other original features that still exist from this period are the moulded beam and door head at the left-hand end of the bar. The big flat wall joists typical of
medieval houses can still be seen in the restaurant
The end cottage to the north of the building was converted to a beer house in 1865 with the addition of a cross wing; named The Old House at Home.
A photograph is on the central column
In 1981 the two adjacent cottages were incorporated into the pub with the third cottage being demolished to make way for the car park entrance.
The name changed to The Old Eden.
The River Eden is prone to flooding and a marker and photograph indicating the flood level in September 1968 is at the end of the bar. 1.825 metres or
6' 1" in old English!